For Christmas last year, I asked my mom for a mannequin. I had the intentions of using the mannequin as a piece of art and also to display the many things I plan on making this year. To make it as a work of art, I was inspired by a mannequin I saw at an antique store that was covered in old newspapers.
Rather than duplicating that idea, I chose to cover it in old sewing patterns. I thrifted these patterns at Red Racks – my favorite thrift store in town. Originally, I thought paper mache would be a wise choice used to cover him, but instead, I used Mod Podge. I found it to hold the material much better.
The process took over five hours with breaks in between. My hands became covered in glue and I constantly had to peel them. Thanks to the help of my editor, Jori, the work wasn’t overbearing. Had I not had her assistance, it probably would have taken much longer than that. I recommend having another person help you with the project, if you choose to make something to this magnitude.